2009 ANZMAC Annual Conference > Sustainability > What we are doing
What we are doing
Monash University is a signatory to the Talloires Declaration - a declaration that institutions of higher learning will be world leaders in developing, creating, supporting and maintaining sustainability.
Monash University recognises the importance of sustainability leadership in facing environmental challenges such as water scarcity and climate change.
As the host for the ANZMAC 2009 Conference, Monash University is committed to:
- reducing consumption of resources and generation of wastes and pollution
- minimising the environmental impacts and maximising opportunities for positive social and economic development associated with the products and services procured for Monash University events
- raising environmental awareness through sustainable promotions and communications.
What have we done?
Working with Monash University's Office of Environmental Sustainability, we have:
- promoted the conference electronically
- used online facilities to receive manuscripts
- used online facilities to register conference delegates
- chosen Crown Promenade Hotel as the conference venue which has won a number of 'green awards'
- purchased Fair Trade Coffee, to help local producers in developing countries to achieve sustainable business practices
- committed to the Give a Tree for Life program, an initiative by the Australian Rainforest Foundation designed to rehabilitate Australia's World Heritage listed rainforests
- encouraged sponsors and exhibitors to:
- develop an Environmental Sustainability Policy
- commit to continual environmental improvement by establishment of environmental sustainability objectives, targets and management programs
- comply with Monash University requirements for waste management, energy conservation, water conservation
- use of approved materials and 'Green' promotional products
What else will we do?
- encourage conference delegates to do their bit to help us deliver an environmentally sustainable conference
- print final program on recycled paper using vegetable ink
- making available recycling bins at the registration desk for delegates to dispose of any unwanted paper
What else can we do? Send us your ideas!